Thursday, April 15, 2010

Let's Get High! A Follow-Up

I slept pretty late today, so I didn't get a chance to start high five-ing people until I got to work. Within my first hour at the restaurant, I high fived almost every employee: servers, bartenders, managers, cooks, dishwashers... there was one holdout, but I won't dignify this high five miser by discussing him any further.

I had promised myself that I would high five at least one stranger, so I surveyed my prospects and eventually approached a gentleman who was dining by himself at the bar.

Me: Excuse me sir, may I ask you a question?
Man at Bar: Sure.
Me: I haven't met you before, have I?
Man at Bar: No, I don't think so.
Me: Oh, good! I promised myself I would high five a stranger today (Offering my hand up high.) Would you be okay with that?
Man at Bar: Oh... okay... (gives me a very limp high five.)
Me: Thanks! Today's National High Five Day.
Man at Bar: (Brightening up.) Oh, okay! (Gives me two consecutive, much more energetic high fives.)

No comments: