Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools!

Last night, Jason called me into the living room. He was hunched over his laptop.

"Hey," he said, "Be careful when you use the Word program on my computer. It has some sort of virus."

A sense of glee began to well up in my chest.

"Oh yeah?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, "Whenever I type in the word 'the', something else pops up."

"Show me," I said, feigning confusion. "Type in, 'Jason Dubinsky is the best."

He typed it in. Then he shook his head and furrowed his brow, saying, "What the...?"

Jason had typed in, "Jason Dubinsky is the best." But what showed up was:






Then Jason heard me giggle and saw my victorious fist pump.

"Wait," he said, "Did you do that?"

Oh, yes. Yes, I did that.

A few weeks ago, inspired by a story from a coworker, I realized that I could pull a great prank on Jay by going into the Word program on his computer and messing with the "AutoCorrect" settings. I set the word "the" to AutoCorrect to "purplepoodlepenis" and then set it up so "Dubinsky" would AutoCorrect to "McTwittyfarts".

Now, I know this will probably reach my readers a little late for April Fools' Day use. Regardless, I enthusiastically encourage you all to try out this prank the next time you have access to a friend's computer - it's good, wholesome, geeky fun for the whole family.

3 comments:

- Cindy - said...

I love how people immediately assume computer issues equal must be a virus! Lol. Auto correct. That's great.

On another note, a coworker got a computer virus today on April Fools. It was not a joke and very rare considering the fact I work with great techie people.

Maybe he's faking it. Maybe that's the April Fools. It's a heck of a way to get out of work and some sympathy... hmmmmmm...

Gueibor said...

Oooooh, I totally used to pull this one at work! And since I was the go-to guy in all things MS Office, they never failed to summon ME (the perpetrator, muahahaha) in search of advice. The faces were priceless. You made me laugh hard with this one!

Lola Cutter Hensel said...

Gueibor - way to use your position to perpetrate hilarity! Well done.