Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rock Bottom Baby

I found out that my sister had scheduled an intervention with my nephew, Ryan, this afternoon. When I saw Ryan, a little later in the day, I felt compelled to play a part in his intervention. He's my nephew, and I love him. I sat across the table from him and began to read from a letter I had prepared.

Dear Ryan,
Your addiction has affected me in the following ways...

When I finished reading the letter, Ryan's face crumpled. He began to cry and scream. I felt terrible.

As my sister tried to comfort her son, she explained to me that the "intervention" she had scheduled for him had nothing to do with drugs - it was simply part of a process to screen for early signs of developmental disabilities.

My bad. Sorry, Ryan.

Photo by Julie Fitzgerald

No comments: