Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Joy of Getting Lost in Translation

In honor of National Grammar Day, I've been playing one of my favorite games - a game I discovered many years ago that never gets old.

1.) Go to Yahoo! Babel Fish, and enter in a block of text - preferably something you've written yourself.

2.) Select a language to translate your text to, and click "Translate".

3.) Copy and paste your newly translated text in the "Translate again" box.

4.) Translate back to English.

For example, here is the text from my Blogger profile as it was originally written:

"My name is Lola. I live in an apartment with Jason Dubinsky of Awesometown Reviews, who is my best friend/husband. I like reading, writing, spending too much time on the internet and mismatching my socks. I have a scar that is shaped like a fish, and two cats that are shaped like big, fat cats."

Here is the same text, translated into Spanish and then back to English:

"My name is Lola. Alive in an apartment with Jason Dubinsky of the revisions of Awesometown, that is my better friend/husband. I have taste to read, writing, spending too much hour in the Internet and uniting my socks badly. I have a scar that form like a fish, and two cats which they form like great cats, fat.

Awesome. Now, let's try the original text translated into Dutch and then back to English:

"My name is Lola. I live in a condominium with Jason Dubinsky van Overzichten Awesometown, which my bosom friend/spouse is. I love reading, writing, spending too much time to Internet and badly combining my socks. I have a cicatrice that as a fish am formed, and two cats that as large, fat cats are formed."

Sweet! The Dutch language has moved me from an apartment to a condo, lengthened and greatly improved Jason's last name, and changed my mundane scar into a much more exotic-sounding "cicatrice". 



 "...two cats that as large, fat cats are formed."

No comments: