Thursday, December 25, 2008

Mele Kalikimaka!

"The only gift is a portion of thyself."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


This year my family celebrated a "simple" Christmas. In response to mopey mood of the economy, my mother and sister stated that they were limiting their gift giving to a few inexpensive, thoughtful items. On our part, Jason and I gave almost entirely homemade gifts.

The result?

Twofold success!

1. I was so pleased to not receive any superfluous junk this year. Every present that I opened was a joy - useful presents, heartfelt presents and things that were clearly carefully chosen just for me.

2. I have never before been so pleased with the reactions of people to the gifts that I gave. My family was genuinely thrilled with every gift, and I felt so proud of the love and work that went into each of them. The most memorable moment, for me, was when my mother was moved to tears by the gift that Jason made for her: a frame that displayed three photographs Jason had taken inside the church that my mom used to work at.

What was your favorite gift given or received?

2 comments:

Miss Kolleen said...

My favorite gift I gave was rare white organic Hawaiian honey for Jeff. My favorite gift received was a nativity set from my aunt, and the complete set of sookie stackhouse novels from Jeff. I'm glad you loved giving homemade, its so much greater. My aunt loved her rosary that I made.

Anonymous said...

my favorite gift i gave this year was "the brave little toaster goes to mars" - even though it can't be watched because it's on vhs.
:)