Thursday, August 13, 2009

Guffaw!

I had a very nice date with my mom today; we took the ferry from Plymouth the Provincetown.

How would you spell the shortened, hip version of "Provincetown"?

I would spell it like this: P-Town.

Our ferry tickets, however, boldly proclaimed that they were for passage between "Plymouth and P'Town". I found this hilarious because, to me, "P'Town" sounds more like the sound effect one might make if they wanted to mimic either spitting or shooting something.

P'Town!

Do spelling and grammar quirks ever make you giggle? Please share if you have any good ones.

2 comments:

your bed-ridden sister said...

I 100% agree. P-Town suggests pronouncing "P" as the letter itself. P'Town totally suggests the sound that the P makes.
P-Town would be pronounced PeeTown
P'Town would be pronounced PuhTown and would suggest the accent be on the "town" part, as in puhTOWN

Unfortunately I can't think of any examples that make me giggle at the moment, but i'll let you know if i do. : )

Ryan Bailey said...

P'Town sounds like it rhymes with spitoon.